This content is part of a series.
God Is Great and Good (2 of 40)
Series: Emerge: Kingdom
Jesus Culture - Banning Liebscher
How many of you grew up reciting a prayer around the dinner table? Chances are you've probably heard a mealtime prayer like this before: ''God is great, God is good; let us thank Him for our food.''
Sometimes we say things without really thinking about it. For example, you might have recited, ''God is good,'' thousands of times, but have you ever stopped to think about what that really means?
This week, we are going to celebrate God's goodness and greatness. The more we understand how awesome God is, the more thankful and confident we will be.
Main Scripture: Psalm 145
- Focus on verse 3 for God's greatness.
- Focus on verse 9 for God's goodness.
EQUIP: God's attributes and character are worthy of our praise.
Teaching Point 1: God is both great and good.
Let's take a moment to learn what a man actually after the heart of God has to say about who God is (1 Samuel 13:14). King David writes in Psalm 145:
- He states that no one can even fathom God's greatness (v. 3).
- He declares God is great because of His wonderful works (v. 5) and His power and great deeds (v. 6).
- He explains that God's goodness is abundant (v. 7) and that He is gracious, compassionate, slow to anger, and rich in love (v. 8).
- As if that weren't enough, he astounds us by saying that ''the Lord is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made'' (v. 9).
King David writes in Psalm 145 that no one can even fathom God's greatness (Psalm 145:3).
In Psalm 145, David is trying to describe God's amazing character, dignity, and majesty. First John 1:5 says, ''God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.'' No one can measure how good and pure His heart is. His greatness is unsearchable to the human mind. His faithfulness never ends, and so our worship of Him continues forever and ever.
God is great because of His wonderful works (Psalm 145:5) and His p ...
There are 10902 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.