This content is part of a series.Can a Suicide Go to Heaven? And Other Questions about Death (13 of 26)
Series: Issues of the 90's
People do not like to think about death, yet there is something about the subject that draws us like a magnet. Some people respond to the idea of death with defiance. Others laugh at death. George Burns said ''I don't believe in death.'' Some are resigned to death. The saddest of all are those who invite death. Death is a dreaded enemy, and yet the Bible promises believers victory over death through Christ.
I. WHAT ABOUT PRAYERS FOR THE DEAD?
A. We should respect the memories of our loved ones who have gone to be-with the Lord. (Heb. 12:1)
B. We should comfort the bereaved and sympathize- with them in their sorrow.
C No where in the Bible, however, are we-told to intercede for the dead; to do so would be to believe in a second chance after death which is not taught in scripture.
II. WHAT ABOUT COMMUNICATION WITH THE DEAD? SHOULD WE TRY TO CONTACT OUR LOVED ONES WHO HAVE GONE BEYOND?
A. Since the beginning of history man has sought to establish some type of communication with the spirits of the departed.
B. The Bible strictly discourages this practice:
1. In Old Testament times Israel was strictly forbidden to establish communication with the departed spirits (Deu. 18:10-12; Isa. 5:l)
2. King Saul's famous visit to the witch of Endor was condemned by the spirit of the departed prophet (I Samuel 28:15)
3. Cultic practices such as communicating with departed spirits are connected with the demonic in New Testament teaching (Gal.5:19-21; Revelation 21:8;)
III. WHAT ABOUT A PERSON WHO COMMITS SUICIDE? CAN THEY GO TO HEAVEN?
A. Persons in the Old Testament who committed suicide.
1. Saul, first King of Israel (I Sam 31:4)
2. Saul's Armor-Bearer (I Sam. 31:5)
3. Ahithophel, David's counselor (11 Sam. 17:23)
4. Zimri, King of Israel ( I Kings 16:18)
5. Samson (Judges 16:30)
B. Persons in ...
There are 5805 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Price: $4.99 or 1 credit