This content is part of a series.
Signs Of Christ's Return By The Year 2000 (9 Of 26)
Series: Issues of the 90's
Dr. Stan Coffey
Mark 13:23; Matthew 24:24
INTRODUCTION: There's no question that the key plays to the last days is religious deception. In fact when the disciples came to Jesus asking Him "when shall these things be and what shall be the sign of Thy coming and of the end of the world" (Matthew 24:3) the very first thing Jesus warned was "take heed that no man deceive you."
Jesus warned that we are to be very careful in watching for our souls (Mark 13:23). Today we will look at the specific deceptions that Jesus has warned of and what it is that will make the ultimate deception so powerful that "if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect" (Matthew 24:24).
I. MANY FALSE CHRISTS
A. The Prophecy - Matthew 24:5; Matthew 24:23,26,27
B. The Fulfillment
1. In 1981 Syracuse University Professor Agehananda Bharti concluded there are fully 2,000 practicing gurus posing as Christ.
2. Billy Graham said that there are at least 400 imposters of Christ in the Los Angeles area alone
3. The appearance of Mailtreya - the christ - has been significantly known as one who will try to implement the virtues of all religions, philosophies, and people
4. "I am Jesus Christ" - Mehemet Ali Agca at his trial for shooting Pope John Paul II
5. "I am God. You are God. We all are God - Shirley MacLaine and other New Agers
6. Sun Myung Moon has declared himself as the new world messiah
II. GREAT SIGNS AND WONDERS
A. The Prophecy - Matthew 24:24-25; 2 Thessalonians 2:9; Revelation 13:14; 2 Timothy 3:8
B. The Fulfillment
1. 42% of American adults believe they have been in contact with someone who has died
2. Of those who reported such contact, 78% said they saw the dead one, 50% heard, 21% touched, 32% felt the presence, 18% talked with the departed and 46% had some combination of the above
There are 5136 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.