This content is part of a series.
Don't Be Critical (7 of 11)
Series: James - Living Life
James 4:11 - 12
Background: The Jewish people have been scattered because of persecution. They are now living abroad in foreign countries. They are experiencing some challenging times and James is writing to encourage them. James does not spend much time in teaching doctrine but rather in how our Christian Faith should be lived out.
The goal is Christian Maturity and Walking Out Your Faith. It is learning how to become all God
Has in store for you as a Christ Follower.
I. Don't Speak The Wrong Things v. 11
A. The statement is made "Don't speak evil against each other.."
1. James is having to deal with people who are speaking evil towards one another.
2. The attitude and the Spirit is not one of Christ.
3. James is having to instruct them because they have left the Great Law.
B. What does he mean by "Speaking Evil Against?"
1. Is a single verb in the Greek katalaleo - means to talk someone down, it is used of Speaking behind someone's back without giving them a chance to defend themselves.
2. It can be translated as slander or criticize.
3. In the New Testament it is sometimes listed as one of those vices and sins in the sense of false accusations (Rom 1.30; 1 Pet 2.1), and at other times it is used for harsh criticism or malicious accusation (2 Cor 12.20; 1 Pet 2.12; 3.16, "abused").
Key Pt: It literally means to shoot people with words. It is to spoil someone's honor with evil words!
* Don't' say something cruel about others.
* It is condemning a brother or sister.
Judge, krino, means to "make a decision, to pass sentence, or give ones opinion" (Zodhiates, 916), and "to compare criterion and critic, to examine, question, select, choose, resolve, determine, decide favorably or unfavorably, pronounce judgment" (Strong's #2919). It is used twice in this verse and once in verse 12. Jesus does not forbid criticism, opinions, or the condemnation of wr ...
There are 6637 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.