This content is part of a series.
Contentment: What Everyone Wants But No One Wants To Be Accused Of (5 of 10)
Series: Mind Games
Philippians 4:10-13/ Philippians 1:12-20, 2:10,14-18/ Acts 16:6-40
BIBLICAL CONTENTMENT IS NOT:
(1) Happiness - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10/ Matthew 26:36-39
(2) A lack of ambition or drive - Philippians 3:10-15/ 1 Corinthians 9:20-27/ 1 Chronicles 4:9-10
(3) Laziness - Proverbs 24:30-34/ Proverbs 13:4
BIBLICAL CONTENTMENT IS:
Philippians 4:10-13/ Colossians 3:17/ Ecclesiastes 1:1-2:11
- Coping with what is, accepting what can't be changed
- Learned, not acquired
WHY IS CONTENTMENT SO ELUSIVE?
(1) Human nature
John 21:18-22/ Ecclesiastes 5:10/ Proverbs 23:4-5
(2) American culture
(3) Unrealistic dreams and goals
Proverbs 13:12/ Romans 12:3
(4) Poison people and places
Proverbs 14:30 / Matthew 18:8-9/ 1 Timothy 6:9-11
HOW TO GET IT AND KEEP IT
Matthew 26:39-46/ Colossians 3:17/ Philippians 4:13
(1) Change what you can, accept what you can't
(2) Avoid your contentment killer
(3) Treat every situation as a special assignment from God
Growth Group Homework
QUICK REVIEW: Looking back at your notes from this week's teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you on the attitude of contentment?
1. This week we heard four reasons why contentment is so elusive. What order would you put them in (from most to least) in terms of impacting your search for contentment?
2. There are many areas where discontentment can show up (i.e. job success, housing, self-imag ...
There are 3301 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1650 character sample of the full content.