This content is part of a series.
The Nature of an Awakening (5 of 12)
Series: Aiming at an Awakening
• There is an old fable of a farmer who finds a viper (a deadly snake) freezing in the snow. Taking pity on the snake, he picks it up and places it in his coat. The snake, revived by warmth, bites the farmer who (by the way) is his rescuer. The farmer dies realizing it was his own fault - because a snake is a snake and will always have the nature of a snake. Another fable tells of a scorpion who asks a frog to carry him across the river. The frog is afraid of being stung BUT the scorpion says, "If I sting you then we both would die." The compassionate frog is convinced so he agrees and begins carrying the scorpion across the river. You guessed it; midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. Just before they sank, the frog asked the scorpion 'why' and the response is, "You knew what I was when you agreed."
• In Wikipedia this application is made; "This is used to illustrate that the behavior of some creatures, or of some people, is repressible, no matter what."
• As we are 'aiming toward an awakening', it will serve us well to understand the nature of an awakening. What is it? What does it look like? Or "What is the nature of an awakening?"
• The dictionary rightly says this kind of nature as: "the inborn or innate qualities of or the character of." So how can we Biblical identify what a Spiritual Awakening looks and feels like? No one alive has witnessed a landscape changing-culture altering awakening. Ravenhill and Havner both lamented that, "if the average church knew what it was- would say no to it!"
• Let's take a look at the Biblical nature of an Awakening and see the "what and why." (TEXT)
• The Psalmist 85 is very plain and asked God for "REVIVAL." A revival is indeed a spiritual awakening. Today we think in terms of meetings. Two things which need to be said: A call to God for a Ho ...
There are 13213 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.