This content is part of a series.
When Faith "Doesn't Work" (3 of 9)
Series: Faith and Prayer
Dr. Larry Osborne
What We've Learned So Far
Hebrews 11:6 and 4-40/ James 2:20-26/ Proverbs 3:5-7/ Mark 9:14-29 and Matthew 17:19-21
Biblical Faith trusts God enough to do what He says
Biblical Faith isn't what rescues us - it's what guides us
Biblical Faith steps out, even when filled with fear and doubt
The Marshmallow Principle
Do I judge God's goodness by this life or eternity?
Hebrews 11:6/ 1 Corinthians 15:19/ Psalm 73
Two Things They Forgot To Tell Me In Sunday School
1. Where Faith Can Lead Us
Hebrews 11:32-40/ Daniel 3:1-28/ Job
- Sometimes faith will lead us out of hardships
- Sometimes faith will lead us through hardships
- Sometimes faith will lead us into hardships
2. Faith's Great Reward
- Even faith's heroes didn't get all they were promised - during their lifetime
Hebrews 11:13-16; 11:26; 11:39-40
- But they got all they were promised!
Hebrews 11:39-40/ 1 Peter 1:9/ Psalm 73
A Powerful Lesson From Job's Terrible Trial
Job 1-2/ Job 13:15/ Job 40:1-42:6/ Hebrews 10:35-39/ Psalm 73
God is God - I am not
It will be OK someday
So I won't quit!
TAKING IT HOME
The lesson from Job's terrible trial is that God is God and I'm not, and it will be OK someday, so don't quit. Can you think of an area of your life where you need to be reminded of this truth?
Growth Group Homework
Looking back at your notes from this week's teaching on When Faith "Doesn't Work," was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
1. Larry listed the three places that faith can lead us. Can you think of a time in your life when faith led you out of hardship, through hardship, or into hardship? If so, explain.
There are 3801 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1900 character sample of the full content.