This content is part of a series.
Define Your Relationship (1 of 5)
Series: A Fan or A Follower
(Note: This series is inspired by Kyle Idleman's book - "Not a Fan")
• (VIDEO) Over the next few weeks I am going to ask you to answer this simple question: "Am I a fan or am I a follower of Jesus Christ?" Now you have this type of question many times. You may have heard it so many times that you are anesthetized to it. Two weeks ago we heard a message about the reality of the today's conditions - and that we must make a choice. Today I begin asking you, "Did you make or have you made the right choice about your life before Him?" If judged by Jesus, Are you a follower of Jesus or are you merely a fan?
• The dictionary defines a 'fan' as "an enthusiastic admirer and usually a spectator." We live in the sport's capital of the world, we all know about fans. True fans will do much to supports their object (team, person, car, etc) - but it is equally that a fan might well abandon in the times of difficulty when he is needed the most. The reason is because the fan is merely a spectator.
• Conversely, a 'follower' is more deeply involved. The dictionary says that a follower is 'one in the service of, follows the teachings of, or imitates another.' A follower is committed to be and do for their master, not just be a spectator. In the Bible days, a 'follower' was a 'disciple' who literally was an "apprentice".
• This person worked with their master, doing work, asking questions, and learning from the master. This is Jesus' concept of being a follower. So what are you?
• The reason we will be spending several weeks considering this truth, is because of the ongoing knot in my stomach which is birthed by the teachings of Jesus in Matthew 7. Within the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus tells a sobering story by painting for us a stunning picture.
• He speaks of the time when you and I will stand before the Father. Jesus says that there'll be those who ha ...
There are 10289 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.