This content is part of a series.
Rhinestone Christianity (4 of 10)
Series: Lessons from 1st John
Dr. Larry Osborne
1 John 2:18-29
Things aren't always as they appear - Here are two more simple questions designed to reveal who's for real and who's just pretending to know God.
THE PASSAGE: Beware, the Antichrist may have moved into a neighborhood near yours!
1 John 2:18-29
Three Things To Watch Out For:
The Telltale Signs of a Modern Day Spiritual Deceiver
1 John 2:22-27/ 1 Timothy 1:6-7 and 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 and 13-15/ Galatians 1:8-9
- A special spiritual guru
- New and novel teachings
- A different Jesus
TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS:
1. The Perseverance question: Did they stick it out or bail out?
1 John 2:19/ Hebrews 10:35-39/ Matthew 13:1-23
- Good starts don't guarantee happy endings.
- Don't judge too quickly: Detours don't always mean a departure.
- So why do some of us bail out?
1 John 2:19/ 1 Corinthians 10:13 and 1 Peter 1:6-7/ Matthew 13:1-23/ Hebrews 10:24-25
- Never had it in the first place - Cultural Christianity
-Disillusioned by trials
- Seduced by worldly treasures
- Arrogance - I don't need it
2. The Jesus question: Is Jesus "THE" Messiah or "A" messiah?
1 John 2:22-26/ Hebrews 1:3 and Colossians 2:9/ John 14:6-9/ Galatians 2:21 and 1 Timothy 2:5-6
- If Jesus isn't God, He's not a great teacher either.
He's a fraud!
TAKING IT HOME
1. As result of this week's teaching and study, what was most helpful to you regarding spiritual perseverance?
Growth Group Homework
This week we looked at the topic of Rhinestone Christianity and two questions to help reveal who's for real and who's just pretending to know God. Was there any point, comment or verse that particularly challenged, confused or caught your attention?
1. Have you ever been surprised to see someone take a major ...
There are 3807 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1904 character sample of the full content.