This content is part of a series.
The Destruction and Salvation of Humanity (5 of 6)
Opening Illustration: These are the kind of stories that I find very difficult to preach. It's like a Christmas Sermon. Why? You've heard it all. There's not much I can add. For a teacher that is my desire. I want to TEACH you something,
Noah's flood is much the same way. However I must say that I find it very disturbing that if you really understand the story that this is the story you tell your kids when you tuck them in at night? What kind of sicko are you?
• That's like watching 2012 just before bedtime.
This is the most horrible story in all the Bible - yet because the animals come 2 by 2 we miss the fact that this is Judgment day.
CONTEXT: Well we pick up in 6:6 with a sorrowful God.
KEY TEXT: 6 The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."
There are at least two HUGE and highly relevant questions that we must ask -
1. What would make God want to destroy Humanity?
2. What would make God want to save some Humanity?
1. What would cause God to want to destroy Humanity?
Up to this point God has already proven that He is remarkably patient with rebellion.
• In Gen. 3 we see Adam and Eve trusted the word of Satan over the Word of God. Our great forefathers said to God, "We don't want you, we don't trust you". Now, if that happened in Gen. 3:7 we have to wonder - why was there a Gen. 3:8? Satan had also rebelled you remember, but he didn't get a second shot.
• Then in Gen. 4 the son of Adam - Cain, murdered his brother. Things are getting worse.
• At the end of Gen. 4 society has progressed to the point where Lamach murdered a boy for striking him. And he said if Cain be avenged 7 fold, then lamach 77 fold.
Things were b ...
There are 13986 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.