This content is part of a series.
Mighty God (3 of 3)
Series: Labels - Made For Everyday Wear
Introduction: This is the third message in the "Labels" series identifying the many labels that we know about God and His names. Over 700 names or labels to describe the awesome God we serve. We are examining Isaiah 9:6, the four compound labels describing our God. We have already looked at "Wonderful Counselor" and "Everlasting Father." Today, let's delve into "The Mighty God."
Isaiah 9:6 A child is born to us! A son is given to us! And he will be our ruler. He will be called, "Wonderful Counselor," "Mighty God," "Eternal Father," "Prince of Peace." (Today's English Version)
I. DEFINING THE MIGHTY GOD
1. Labels identify the quality and define the value of an object or person
2. Hebrew: "Gibbor" - Valiant, powerful, strong, prevailing, champion, unmatched
3. Mighty God is all-powerful, a force of unlimited power, having unlimited authority and influence, unrestrained, infinite power; His abilities have no parameters.
a. Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.
b. Psalm 21:13 Be exalted, O Lord, in Your own strength! We will sing and praise Your power.
B. THEOLOGIANS DEFINE THE MIGHTY GOD
1. Hodge: The simple idea of the omnipotence of God, that He can do without effort and by a volition whatever He wills, is the highest conceivable idea of power. It is that which is clearly presented in scriptures. God can do whatever He will. He wills and it is done.
2. J. Rodham Williams (Renewal Theology): For God is the all-powerful one. Nothing is too difficult to accomplish. Nothing is beyond His capability. God declares about Himself, "IS anything too hard for the Lord?" God is the God of omnipotence both in actuality and in possibility. There is utterly no limitation with God. He has all power.
3. Millard J. Erickson (Christian Theology): What all of this means is that God's will is never frustrated. What ...
There are 7237 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.