This content is part of a series.
How to Be a Servant at Heart (17 of 35)
Series: Delights of a Word-Filled Marriage
Praying for Servant-Heartedness
May I give you a little quiz this morning?
• Jesus said, I did not come to be served but to ______. (serve)
• And the last shall be ______ (first).
• I did not come to do my own ____ (will).
The greatest goal we have spiritually as parents is to raise children that are useful to God. Usefulness in Christ's kingdom is defined by one very precious quality – SERVANTHOOD. The words servants and servants and bondservants are used over 1000 times in the New Testament. That is about once every seven verses. That is very frequent! We are to be Christ's servants, and He is called a servant.
• Acts 3:13 The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let Him go.
• Acts 3:26 To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities."
• Acts 4:27 "For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together
• Acts 4:30 by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus."
• Revelation 22:3 And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him.
It has been estimated by historians that at the time of Paul there were as many as 60 million slaves owned by masters in the Roman Empire. So slaves and slavery were well known themes to the New Testament world. That is why Paul's testimony to the church at Corinth is so powerful. They knew what he meant when he declared that he and his companions wanted to be regarded as "servants". Let's turn to ...
There are 15624 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.