This content is part of a series.
Lust: The Giant That Slew David (36 of 49)
Series: Discovering David's Spiritual Secret
Did you know that one of the greatest events in history has an equally tragic sequel? First there was David and Goliath, when David kills Goliath in one of the greatest moments in history.
But there is a horrible sequel, David and Bathsheba, when David was killed by another giant. You say wait, didn't David kill Goliath? Yes, wonderfully by God's power this humble teenaged David slew God's enemy Goliath. But later in life a proud David:
• Ignored God's word and
• Allowed another giant to come right into God's city Jerusalem, and
• Welcomed God's enemy into the presence of this man after God's own heart, and
• David was slain by the giant of LUST!
That is exactly the warning James gave. Look at our text this morning: James 1:13-16. There are three powerful truths tucked away in these verses:
• Temptation is Inevitable James 1:13a "Let no one say when he is tempted", it isn't if but when!
• Temptation is inevitable: Use the Word
• God is Faithful James 1:13b-14 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed"
God is Faithful: Look for God
I Corinthians 10:13 Look for God - He's there. The apostle Paul gives us hope in this verse of Scripture. "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it". God is there all the time. He tells us He is faithful. When we think we are alone, we are not alone. God has already measured and limited the attack upon us. He has already provided an escape route if we will only look for it and take it. Last week we saw Where we need to look for God:
We need t ...
There are 17528 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.