A Prisoner's Want List
II Timothy 4:13
1. SOMETHING TO PROTECT HIM PHYSICALLY
a) The Physical Needs That Are Possessed
b) The Physical Needs That Are Provided
2. SOMETHING TO PLEASE HIM MENTALLY
a) A Delightful Habit
b) A Developed Habit
3. SOMETHING TO PROFIT HIM SPIRITUALLY
a) How We Should View the Bible
b) How We Should Value the Bible
1. Anyone who has worked in jails or prisons knows that it is not uncommon for prisoners to ask you to get them things or do things for them. I have been asked by prisoners to get them cigarettes, stamps, call someone for them, borrow money, and just about anything else you can imagine. In our text we find a prisoner asking someone to visit them and to bring them certain items.
2. The prisoner is the Apostle Paul. When Paul declared, "I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord" (Phil. 3:8) that was no idle chatter. He was in peril of his life in Damascus, persecuted in Antioch, stoned in Lystra, assaulted in Iconium, beaten with many stripes in Philippi, attacked in Thessalonica, despised in Athens, blasphemed in Corinth, exposed to the fierce wrath of the Ephesians, and bound with chains in Jerusalem.
3. Paul was the kind of preacher as R.G. Lee said that "was always weighing sixteen ounces to the pound on God's scales, always measuring thirty-six inches to the yard by God's measuring rod, always striking twelve by God's clock." Once saved and called by God, he was Christ's man, and it had cost him dearly.
4. In 2 Timothy 4 we find him in prison. He knows that his days are numbered and heaven is just before him. His testimony was, "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all th ...
There are 20536 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.