This content is part of a series.
Knocking On The Door Of Heaven (19 of 23)
The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached
1. THE DESIRES OF OUR PRAYING
A) The Things We Desire from the Lord
B) The Things We Desire for the Lord
2. THE DILIGENCE OF OUR PRAYING
A) Persistent Prayer]
B) Prolonged Prayer
3. THE DESPERATION OF OUR PRAYING
A) Urgency in Prayer
B) Fervency in Prayer
1. For the second time in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus deals with the subject of prayer. The fact that He twice deals with prayer indicates how important prayer is in the Christian life.
2. R. G. Lee said of prayer, "To take prayer out of life is like taking heat out of fire, melody out of music, numbers out of mathematics, fact out of history, fiction out of literature, brains out of the skull and expecting intelligence, blood out of the body and expecting health."
3. In Matthew 6 Jesus first addressed the subject of prayer and he spoke of the practice of prayer. In Matthew 6: 5 Jesus said, "And when thou prayest." He did not say "if thou prayest" but "when thou prayest." As far as Jesus was concerned, prayer would be a habit and practice of every Christian's life. Martin Luther said, "As it is the business of tailors to make clothes and of cobblers to mend shoes, so it is the business of Christians to pray."
4. Now, in Matthew 7 we find that Jesus speaks of the power of prayer. He speaks to us of prayer being answered and as the means whereby we get things from God. William Cowper was right in the words of one of his hymns:
Satan trembles when he sees,
The weakest saint on his knees.
5. Satan trembles when we pray because he knows that prayer is the means of obtaining things from God. In Matthew 7:7-11 we are given the promise that certain prayer gets things from God. Let me put it this way. When we knock on the door of heaven, God will open the door and will as verse 11 says "give us good things to them that ask Him."
6. Shortly after Dallas Theological Semina ...
There are 16953 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.