This content is part of a series.
John -- The Beloved Apostle (3 of 15)
TWELVE WHO CHANGED THE WORLD
I John 1:1-4 (CSV) -- (1) What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have observed, and have touched with our hands, concerning the Word of life— (2) that life was revealed, and we have seen it and we testify and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us — (3) what we have seen and heard we also declare to you, so that you may have fellowship along with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. (4)We are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.
I. THE SURROUNDINGS OF JOHN
A. John's Background
Matthew 4:21 - Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and He called them.
1. His father: John was the son of Zebedee, which means "gift of Jehovah," and the name John means "Jehovah is gracious."
2. His mother: John's mother is thought to have been Salome.
Mark 16:1 - When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so they could go and anoint Him.
Matthew 27:56 - Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and
Joseph, and the mother of Zebedee's sons
3. Salome, the third woman in the trio of women mentioned, is said to be the sister of Jesus'
mother which would make Jesus and John first cousins.
John 19:25 -- Standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
4. His brother: John had a brother named James. (Matt. 4:21 above) James was also a
prominent disciple among the twelve who was murdered by King Herod. (Acts 12:2)
B. John's Business
1. The purpose of his fishing -- John fished com ...
There are 12201 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.