This content is part of a series.
Let's Talk (5 of 5)
Series: Choosing Your Way To A Great Marriage
Dr. Chuck McAlister
(A) Complete our series ...CHOOSING YOUR WAY TO A GREAT MARRIAGE ...
-- A woman went to see an attorney and said, "I want to divorce my husband" ...The attorney responded, "Do you have any grounds?" To which the woman replied, "No, but we do own a lot on the west side of town."
-- "No," said the attorney, "I mean, do you have a grudge?" The woman said, 'No, we park the car in a carport."
-- The attorney asked, "Well, does your husband beat you up?" The woman answered, "No, I'm usually up before he gets up."
-- Exasperated, the attorney demanded, "Why do you want a divorce?" "Because," said the woman, "my husband says that he just can't communicate with me."
...Proverbs 21:23 "Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles."
-- Marriage counselors say that 80% of all marital problems are rooted in poor communication between the husband and wife.
* Communication is not automatic, but it is a skill that can be developed.
-- In fact, it is the most important skill you can develop to protect your marriage and to ensure that you have the best relationship possible with your mate.
-- God is committed to communicating.
...He sent His Son, Jesus, and called Him the Word of God.
...He communicated to us by giving us a book, His Word, the Bible.
-- God wants you committed to communicating, too.
* The average couple only communicates four minutes a day or 28 minutes a week. However, that same couple will average watching television for 46 hours a week. That does not make for a healthy marriage.
...Read Proverbs 18:21 ..."Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit."
1. How much power is there in the words you speak?
2. What impact does what you say have on your marriage?
* The Message paraphrases this verse by saying, "Words kill ...
There are 15677 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.