This content is part of a series.
A Blind Man with 20/20 Vision (6 of 13)
Series: A Closer Look at the Book Ecclesiastes
Steve N. Wagers
August 21, 2005
1. The DANGER that FACES Man!
A. Living Without Enjoyment!
B. Laboring Without Fulfillment!
2. The DUTY that FINDS Man!
A. An Inescapable Reality!
B. An Inexcusable Vanity!
3. The DOMINION that FAVORS Man!
A. The Tragic Life that Avoids God's Control!
B. The Triumphant Life that Accepts God's Control!
1. A lady once asked her husband, "How was your golf game, dear?" He said, "Well, I was hitting pretty well, but my eyesight's gotten so bad I couldn't see where the ball went." She said, "But you're seventy-five years old, Jack! Why don't you take my brother Scott along?" Jack said, "But he's eighty-five and doesn't even play golf anymore." She said, "But he's got perfect eyesight. He could watch your ball,"
2. The husband finally agreed. The next day Jack teed off with Scott looking on. Jack swung, and the ball disappeared down the middle of the fairway. "Do you see it?" asked Jack. Scott answered, "Yup, sure do." Jack peered off into the distance and said, "Well, where is it?" Scott said, "I forgot!"
3. In his brilliant new book, Catching the Light, quantum physicist Arthur Zajoc writes of what he describes as the "entwined history of light and mind." Zajoc quotes from a study by a Dr. Moreau who observed that while surgery gave the patient the "power to see," "the employment of this power, which as a whole constitutes the act of seeing, still has to be acquired from the beginning."
4. Dr. Moreau concludes, "To give back sight to a congenitally blind person is more the work of an educator than of a surgeon." He further adds, "The sober truth remains that vision requires far more than a functioning physical organ. Without an inner light, without a formative visual imagination, we are blind. That "inner light"--the light of the mind--"must flow into and marry with ...
There are 22238 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.