This content is part of a series.
It's Takes a Licking, and Keeps on Ticking (3 of 13)
Series: A Closer Look at the Book Ecclesiastes
Steve N. Wagers
July 31, 2005
1. God's PROGRAM in REGARDS to Time!
A. How Time Dominates our Life!
B. How Time Delegates our Life!
2. God's PURPOSE in RESPECT to Time!
A. His Creative Purpose!
B. His Redemptive Purpose!
3. God's PART in RELATION to Time!
A. The Durability of What God Has Done!
B. The Accountability for What Man Has Done!
1. Suppose you had a bank that credited your account each morning with $86,400. The account carried no balance from day to day, and allowed you to keep no cash in your account. Finally, every evening, the bank cancelled whatever part of the amount you had failed to use during the day. What would you do with it?
2. The fact of the matter is that we have such a bank, and it is called TIME! Every morning it credits you with 86,400 seconds, which represents 1,440 minutes, which equals 24 hours each day. Every night the bank called TIME rules off, as lost, whatever time you had failed to invest to good purpose. It carries no balances. It allows no overdrafts. Each day, the bank called TIME, opens a new account with you. Each night, it burns up the records of the day, and if you fail to use the day's deposits, you must eat the loss.
3. Carl Sandburg said, "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent." In his book, In an Average Lifetime, Richard Needham conducted several years of research to reveal how we spend our time. He showed that the average American spends:
- 3 years in business meetings
- 13 years watching TV
- 6 months sitting at stoplights
- 8 months opening junk mail
- 1 year looking for misplaced objects
- 2 years returning phone calls
- 4 years doing housework
- 5 years waiting in line
- 6 years eating
- 24 years sleeping
- Makes 1811 trips to McDonald's
- Men are hospi ...
There are 22797 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.