This content is part of a series.
Was Mary The Wife Of Jesus? (2 of 14)
Series: Cracking the DaVinci Code
August 28, 2005
I. MAY MAGDALENE IN THE NOVEL
A. The wife of Jesus and mother of His children.
1. Did the church "cover up" evidence?
2. Mary's link to the Holy Grail
3. What about "Holy Blood" (Sangeal)
4. Does the Holy Grail story point to the "holy bloodline" of Jesus and Mary coming into France?
B. Mary – a disciple portrayed in Leonardi DaVinci's "The Last Supper"
1. "V" shaped to the left side of Jesus as one looks at the painting.
2. The "V" is a symbol of the feminine, and the disciple on the left side of Jesus is Mary Magdalene.
3. Leonardi was a member of a special group and put these clues in his painting.
4. All these ideas can be found in pages 242-245.
C. Mary – a figure of mystery
1. The subject of dramas in the 1960's
2. There is little information about her identity
3. People continue to have interest in her.
II. MARY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
A. The descriptions of Mary in the New Testament
1. Mary, the mother of Jesus (Luke 1:30-31)
2. Mary of Bethany (John 11:1)
3. Mary, the mother of James who was not Jesus' mother
4. Mary, the wife of Cleopas (John 19:25)
5. Mary, the mother of John Mark (Acts 12:12)
6. Mary, unidentified (Romans 16:6)
7. Mary, of Magdala (Luke 8:2)
B. The Distinction of Mary in the New Testament
1. Often the "Marys" were mentioned in connection with a male.
2. This was common in a patriarchal culture.
3. For example, we read of Jesus' mother, the mother of James, John Mark's mother, and the wife of Cleopas.
4. There was no connection of a male when Mary Magdalene is mentioned.
C. The Designation of Marys in the New Testament
1. Mary is a modern form of the Jewish name, "Miriam."
2. It was a very popular ancient name for Jewish women.
3. Mary Magdalene was not connected with a male, but rather with Magdala, the city where she lived.
4. So Mary ...
There are 4222 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.