This content is part of a series.
What We Believe about End Times! (9 of 9)
Series: Baptist Beliefs
Steve N. Wagers
August 24, 2005
1. The Thrilling Return of the Lord!
A. An Imminent Return!
B. An Immediate Return!
2. The Terrible Retribution by the Lord!
A. The First Part of this Retribution!
B. The Final Part of this Retribution!
3. The Triumphant Reign with the Lord!
A. We will Literally Reign with Christ!
B. We will Eternally Reign with Christ!
1. The Danish philosopher, Kierkegaard, tells a parable of a theater where a variety show is proceeding. Each show is more fantastic than the last, and is applauded by the audience. Suddenly the manager comes forward. He apologizes for the interruption, but the theater is on fire, and he begs his patrons to leave in an orderly fashion. The audience thinks this is the most amusing turn of the evening, and cheer thunderously.
2. The manager again implores them to leave the burning building, and he is again applauded vigorously. At last he can do no more. The fire raced through the whole building and the fun-loving audience with it. "And so," concluded Kierkegaard, "will our age, I sometimes think, go down in fiery destruction to the applause of a crowded house of cheering spectators."
3. One of the most exciting topics of the Bible is the topic of prophecy, or end time events. However, the topic, too many, is nothing more than a tale of "doom and gloom," or extreme fatalism. One reason is because that many have heard it so long that it has lost its meaning.
4. Thus, there is as much disagreement, and debate, over eschatology or end time events than any other subject in the Bible. There are 3 basic views:
Pre-tribulation view: church will be taken out prior to the Tribulation period
Mid-Tribulation view: church will endure 1st half of Tribulation, but be taken out before the Great Tribulation
Post-Tribulation view: church will endure the entire Tribulation period
5. I believe that the cl ...
There are 16901 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.