This content is part of a series.
The Renegade Returns (2 of 4)
Dr. Jeffery B. Ginn
April 1, 2001
1. A certain skeptic observed a little girl standing outside her church. She clutched a big storybook under her arm with the title "Jonah and the Whale." He looked down at the girl and asked, "What's that you have in your hand?" "This is my storybook about Jonah and the whale," she answered. "Tell me something," he continued, "do you believe that story about Jonah and the whale?" The girl said, "Why, of course I believe it!" The scoffer inquired further, "You really believe a man can be swallowed up by a big whale, stay inside him all that time, and come out okay?" She declared, "Yes! This story is in the Bible, and we talked about it in Sunday school today." Then he asked, "Can you prove to me this story is true?" She thought for a moment and then said, "Well, when I get to heaven, I'll ask Jonah." Finally the doubter asked, "What if Jonah's not in heaven?" The girl put her hands on her hips and sternly declared, "Then YOU can ask him!"
2. The second chapter of Jonah is one of the most controversial passages in the Bible. There are those who scoff at it and ridicule the story.
3. Jesus affirmed its historicity and veracity.
1. Matthew12:40-41 "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (41). The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one greater than Jonah is here."
4. Stories of people who've survived similar experiences exist.
1. Seaman Bartley in February 1891. He was a seaman on an English whaling ship, Star of the East. They were chasing a sperm whale near the Falkland Islands when the whale dove, hit one of the whale boats with its tail, and upset it. One man drowned and another, Bartley, was missing and assumed dead. The wh ...
There are 7867 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.