This content is part of a series.
Mary: The Promise Conceived
1. Promises, Promises. Every time someone breaks a promise, they just blame it on the old saying ''Promises were meant to be broken.'' It is very hard not to believe that and accept that as a way of life.
2. The world's three most famous promises are promises that are never kept. Do you know what they are?
(1) The check is in the mail
(2) I'll love you in the morning
(3) I'm from the government and I'm here to help you
3. Let's face it. Politicians are famous for making promises they don't keep. In the 20th century these are just a few promises that were made that weren't kept.
(1) The Income Tax will only apply to the wealthiest individuals and will never go above six-percent.
(2) Social Security will always be there for you and the tax will only be two-percent.
(3) Federal aid to Education will never mean Federal control of Education.
(4) The Medicare program will never allow bureaucrats to interfere with your doctor's medical decisions.
4. Unfortunately, we have just simply come to expect people to break their promises. Five out of ten people that make a sacred promise to God when they get married that they will stay married for life, break that promise. People who borrow money and promise to repay it (only later to declare bankruptcy) break their promise. We are basically numb to promise breaking, because it happens all the time. In fact, we have almost come to expect it.
5. We are in the middle of the time of year that ought to be a reminder to us of just how important promise making and promise keeping is. The only reason we like trees, hang ornaments, sing carols, exchange gifts and enjoy what one song has called, ''The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year'' is because God keeps His promise. You can spend a thousand lifetimes searching every word that has ever been written from the beginning of time and never find a story as beautiful as the story of Christmas. The ...
There are 17282 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.