Come, Let's Look into the Future
Deuteronomy 29:29; John 15:15
1. Have you ever thought about how neat it would be to be
able to see into the future...to be able to see what you would be doing five, ten, even twenty years from now?
Of course, some of us might not be here twenty years from now; but wouldn't be something, if the Lord tarries, to see what's going on a hundred years from now? Rest assured, I am not a prophet, nor do I claim to be. My name is not Benny Hinn (For those who don't know, Benny Hinn is a self-proclaimed prophet and healer).
ILLUS: Benny Hinn would be in serous trouble if he lived in the state of Indiana. Under a 1917 Indiana law, any person convicted of predicting the future, for a fee, is subject to a fine of $100 and a 60-day jail sentence.1
ILLUS: Here's an interesting article taken from the Science World Magazine. In a survey of 12,300 junior and senior high school students, these kids see the 22nd century with jet-propelled cars and space colonies. But they mix the view with down-to-earth environmental concerns. Among findings:
- 80% say people will work in space.
- 51% think people will communicate with extra-terrestrial beings.
- 60% say the average lifespan of a human will be 100 years or more.
- 51% that we'll be able to buy artificial human body parts off the shelf.
- 50% say that solar power will provide more of our energy needs.
- 24% say we'll be able to control the weather.2
2. The truth of the matter is that we do not have a crystal ball,
nor can any human see or predict future events, including Nostradamus, the 16th century astrologer and self-proclaimed prophet. He supposedly predicted that Hitler would rise to power, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and several other events in our lifetime. I have read some of his predictions, and I must tell you, it is a far stretch to see the correlation or connection to what he wrote and how people interpreted what he wrote.
There are 18185 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.