This content is part of a series.
When the Bills Come Due (6 of 8)
I Timothy 6:6-10
1. Our Extreme Home Makeover is going according to plan, but there is one little matter we have not yet discussed. How are we going to finance the project? When the bills come due, can we finance this project without going into bankruptcy? The answer to that question is very easy. It all depends on whether or not we have managed our money properly.
2. That is exactly what we are going to be talking about today - managing money. How many of you feel like the former pro golfer from Georgia, Doug Sanders, who said this,
"I am working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can die right after lunch on Tuesday, everything will be fine."
3. I am sure that it does for more than a few people, because there is one thing I am absolutely convinced of and that is the average person in America has no clue in how to manage money. Just consider this.
* Consumer debt has tripled since 1980.
* The average American household has over $35,000 in consumer debt.
* The average amount of credit card debt in households with more than one card is now more than $8,000 according to CardWeb.com.
* About 43% of American families spend more than they earn each year.
* Personal bankruptcies have doubled in the last 10 years.
4. Many people have more month than they do money. They have more bills to pay than bills to pay them.
5. This problem prevents more extreme home makeovers than almost any other problem you could imagine. Gallup reports that 64% of all couples worry about money. It is also now the number one cause of divorce - 51% of all spouses that call it quits had something to do with their finances.
6. What makes all of this even more amazing to me is that compared to the world, most of us are filthy rich. Do you realize if you own your home, have two cars and any kind of retirement plan, you have more wealth than ...
There are 18146 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.