This content is part of a series.
Complete In Him! (16 of 16)
Final Comments To Faithful Christians!
1. Whenever I think of final thoughts, or famous last words, I think of some very interesting epitaphs found on tombstones from cemeteries across America. For example:
[seen in Enosburg, Vermont]
In memory of Anna
Here lies the body of our Anna,
Done to death by a banana.
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low,
But the skin of the thing that made her go.
[seen in Winslow, Maine]
In memory of Beza Wood
'Here lies one Wood
Enclosed in another wood,
One within the other.
The outer wood is very good.
We cannot praise the other.'
[seen in Boot Hill Cemetery, Dodge City, Kansas]
'He played five Aces.
Now he's playing the harp.'
[seen in Burlington, Massachusetts]
In memory of Anthony Drake
'Sacred to the memory of Anthony Drake,
Who died for peace and quietness sake.
His wife was constantly scoldin' and scoffin,'
So he sought for repose in a $12 coffin.'
2. And, my personal favorite is this one.
[seen in the English countryside]
In memory of Mary Ford
'Here lieth Mary--the wife of John Ford
We hope her soul is gone to the Lord.
But if for hell she has changed this life,
She would rather be there than be John Ford's wife!' 1
3. As we come to the close of our study of the book of Colossians the apostle Paul does not offer pithy epitaphs, or catchy cliches. He offers his own, personal final comments to a group of faithful Christians.
4. If the book of Colossians were a journal, these verses would constitute the last page. This would be the final entry before the book was closed, the latchet clasped, and laid upon a shelf.
5. Much ground has been covered in our study of this blessed book of scripture. We have been reminded that we find in Jesus all that we will ever need to face all that we will ever face. Yet, enclosed in this final section is untold treasures of insight to enable us, empower us, and eq ...
There are 24699 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.