This content is part of a series.
Why You Should Study the Bible (3 of 6)
Dr. James Merritt
1. The Bible is the book that is owned by more people in America than any other single book. But what do Bible owners really know about the Bible?
82% say the idea that ''God helps those who help themselves'' is taken directly from the pages of the Bible. 66% say there is no absolute truth. 63% cannot name the four gospels. 58% cannot name half or more of the Ten Commandments. 58% do not know Jesus preached the Sermon on the Mount. 52% do not know the book of Jonah is in the Bible. 48% do not know the book of Thomas is not in the Bible. 39% do not know Jesus was born in Bethlehem. 30% do not know there were twelve apostles.1
2. It reminds me of a Sunday School teacher who was talking to a class of young boys. She said, ''Who went into the lion's den and came out unhurt?'' One little boy blurted out Tarzan!''
3. Far too many people, including Christians, have the Bible in their homes, but not in their hearts. That is a tragedy. The psalmist tells us in this tremendous chapter in v.162, ''I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure.'' He called God's word a treasure chest filled with jewels of joy for the one who will mine its riches.
4. As you know, Psalms is a Hebrew hymnbook. It is a book of songs. Psalm 119 is the longest song of all. The Bible is a book filled with chapter. Psalm 119 is by far the longest chapter in the Bible with 176 verses, and the entire chapter is about one thing-the word of God.
5. I want you to see in just a portion of this tremendous chapter, three key reasons that will answer the question as to why we should study the Bible.
I. We Need The Bible To Guide Us
1. ''Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.'' (v.105) Now we are told that the book that is a lamp and a light is ''Your word.'' He is talking about God's word. I have told you before that men wrote this Bible, but God authore ...
There are 19710 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.