This content is part of a series.
The Way Over Is Under (1 of 5)
1. It was known as the Roaring Twenties. It was a time very much like to the Soaring Nineties. Morals were being turned upside down. The Stock Market was rocketing to new heights. ''Let the good times roll'' was the national motto.
2. Perhaps the biggest name of the decade was a man named Babe Ruth. He had singlehandedly put baseball on the map and made it the national pastime. The major league owners realized they needed a Commissioner to oversee the game of baseball and preserve its integrity.
3. In 1921 they appointed as their first Commissioner, Judge Kennesaw ''Mountain'' Landis. Before Judge Landis took the position, he made one huge non-negotiable demand. It had nothing to do with money, nothing to do with benefits, nothing to do even with power in the raw sense of the term. This was his demand:
He said he wanted a moral covenant with ownership to steadfastly support the Commissioner, by which they say, ''We will stand behind you come thick or thin, regardless of what you do, regardless of what our individual personal feelings might be about its rightness or wrong-ness. We have given you a tough job, and we will stand behind you and we will support you. There will be no knives in your back.1
4. What Judge Landis demanded in one word was authority. One of the greatest lessons a parent will ever teach their child is how to submit to proper authority. The reason that is so important is this-the way over is under.
5. There is no such thing as a life without authority. Authority is found everywhere you go and everywhere you look. In athletics you can choose the game, but you can't choose the rules. If you're going to play tennis, you have to serve behind the line and within the box. When you hit ground strokes you've got to keep the ball within the sidelines.
6. If your sport is basketball, you must dribble the ball as you go up the court. In any game you choose you ...
There are 20422 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.