This content is part of a series.
Goodness: How To Live The Good Life (6 of 9)
Series: Fruit Of The Spirit - Home Sweet Home
1. The French philosopher, jean Jacques Rousseau, once said, ''happiness is a good bank account, a good cook, and a good digestion.'' that is what he would call today ''the good life.''
2. There are many today who would agree with him. There are some who say that the good life is physical. They believe it just doesn't get any better than a hot tub, a back rub, and a drink at the pub. But then there are others who say the good life is material. They think that if you've got the mansion, the Mercedes, and the money, you are living the good life.
3. But God says the good life is spiritual. We read in our text: ''the fruit of the spirit is goodness.'' contrary to many opinions, goodness is not feeling good, looking good, or owning good; it is being good and doing good. Since it is the fruit of the spirit, we know that goodness can only come from God.
4. Goodness is not something that man manufacturers. It is something that God gives. Rom. 3:12 says, ''there is none who does good, no, not one.'' people are not basically good. People are basically bad. You see, goodness is only possible with God. Have you ever thought about the fact that if you take the word ''God'' out of the word ''good'', all you are left with is a big fat ''o.''
5. In fact, the word ''good'' comes from an old Anglo-Saxon word that had the same connotation as ''God.'' ''goodbye'' is an abbreviation of the Anglo- Saxon way of saying, ''God be with ye.'' good literally means ''to be like God.''
6. The lord Jesus said something very revealing on one occasion, both about good and God. The rich young ruler came up to him, and said, ''good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?'' Jesus said to him, ''why do you call me good? No one is good but one, that is, God.'' (mark 10:17-18) now get that down in your heart. Only God is good. We do kno ...
There are 17555 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.