"It All Depends On Him"
By James Merritt
1. A frustrated salesman circled a block a number of times looking for a place to park. Finally, parked his car in a no parking zone, and left this note:
I've circled this block twenty times. I have an appointment, and I must keep it or lose my job. "Forgive us our trespasses."
When he returned to his car, he found this note:
I've circled this block twenty years. If I don't give you a ticket, I'll lose my job. "Lead us not into temptation."
2. Well, as we complete our study on The Lord's Prayer, we move from pardon "forgive us our debts," to protection. "Lead us not into temptation." It is interesting to see how these two are linked together. You see, salvation is more than eternal fire insurance. Jesus did not die just to save us from hell. Matthew 1:21 says, "You shall call His name Jesus, for He will save his people from their sins." Jesus did not die just to win the war over sin; but also to enable us to win the daily battle over sins.
3. I read years ago about a man who was languishing in a prison. The authorities came to this man in his prison cell, and thrust a piece of paper through the bars, and said, "This is your pardon. The Queen has pardoned you, and you are a free man."
4. Well, this man showed absolutely no emotion. There was no joy, no exhilaration, no excitement. He just sat there. They thought that perhaps this man did not understand what had happened. They said, "Sir, don't you understand what has happened to you? Do you not realize that you are a free man? The Queen has pardoned you!"
5. When they said that, the man unbuttoned his shirt and showed a cancer growing in his chest, that was eating away his life, and he said, "What can the Queen do about this?" What good is it to have a pardon, to be forgiven, if we are still being consumed with the cancer of sin?
6. At the moment a person is saved, he ...
There are 15410 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.