"This Case Is Closed"
By James Merritt
1. When I was a boy there used to be a television show on called "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon." He was a Royal Canadian Mountie who was always rounding up criminals and solving crimes. He had a dog named King who was his faithful sidekick and companion.
2. At the end of every show Sergeant Preston would always get his man, and he would kneel down beside King and pat him on the head and say, "King, this case is closed."
3. In the first eight chapters of the book of Romans, Paul presents his case for salvation, and then in verse 8 he closes the case once and for all. If I were stranded on a desert island and I could either have the New Testament or the Old Testament, I would take the New Testament. But if I could only have one book in the New Testament, I would take the book of Romans. If I could only have one chapter in the book of Romans, I would take the eighth chapter. This eighth chapter may be the single greatest theological and doctrinal chapter in all of the Word of God.
4. In verses 1-17 Paul deals with our sonship. In verses 18-27 Paul deals with our suffering. But then in verses 29ff Paul deals with our security.
5. I, quite frankly, do not understand how any theologian can read, study, properly interpret and totally believe these verses before us, and not accept the eternal security of the believer. We see that we are not only predestined for glory, but we are preserved for glory.
I. No Foe Can Intimidate Us
1. You need never fear any enemy that might come against you because you are forevermore guarded by the grace of God.
A. God's Promotion
1. "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" (v.31) Actually, grammatically this verse would better be translated with the word since rather than if. For the real sense of the Greek language is "since God is for us, who ...
There are 17215 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.