I Have Fallen and I Can't Get Up
1. Everyone knows that the basic job description of the church was given by the Lord Jesus Christ in The Great Commission. ''Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'' (Mt. 28:19-20)
2. First of all, we are to make disciples by winning people to Jesus. Then we are to mark disciples by baptizing them into the church. Then we are to mature disciples by teaching them the Word of God. Now you can summarize all of that by the word reconciliation.
3. We are told in II Cor. 5:18 that God has given to us the ministry of reconciliation. Reconciliation is simply when we take the hand of a sinner and place it in the hand of the Savior, and the result is salvation.
4. But the text before us gives what I believe to be one other ministry of the church. We are not only to make disciples, mark disciples, and mature disciples, but we are also to mend disciples. This is the ministry of restoration. ''Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness.'' (v.1)
5. You can sum up the function of the church in two words: reconciliation and restoration. Reconciliation is our ministry to fallen sinners. Restoration is our ministry to fallen saints.
6. Fanny Crosby wrote a great old hymn called ''Rescue the Perishing.'' You can see both ministries recorded in this song: Rescue the perishing, care for the dying.(this is the ministry of reconciliation)
Weep o'er the erring one, lift up the fallen. (this is the ministry of restoration)
7. Paul is dealing here with a situation of a broken brother; someone who has been sabotaged by Satan, ambushed by the adversary, and has fallen into sin. In military terms we would ca ...
There are 14042 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.