First Things First
1. Just a few years ago there was a flight of one of the major airlines from New York to Miami. The crew began to make preparations for landing when they noticed that the light, which indicates that the landing gear was down, did not come on.
2. The Captain instructed the Engineer to get a new bulb, and he began to work on the light trying to get it to come on. The Co-pilot who was supposed to be landing the plane, also got pre-occupied with this little light and he and the captain together began to thump and to pound on the light trying to get it to come on. Well, in the meantime, no one thought to abort the landing or to manually lower the landing gear.
3. While that crew was focusing in on a faulty light bulb that plane crashed into the Everglades and over one hundred people lost their lives.
4. Now that plane crashed for one reason. The crew had the wrong priority. They were doing the right thing, but they were doing it at the wrong time. They failed to put first things first.
5. The Lord Jesus was extremely sensitive to ''first things.'' Over and over He taught the PRINCIPLE OF PROPER PRIORITIES. He emphasized continuously putting first things first.
6. For example, He pointed out that the key to handling conflicts is to put first things first. ''Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. FIRST be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.'' (Mt. 5:23-24) He taught that the way you get what you need in life is to put first things first. ''But seek FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.'' (Mt. 6:33) He illustrated that the way to avoid hypocrisy is to put first things first. ''Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck out of your eye'; and look, a plank is in your ...
There are 14941 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.