This content is part of a series.
Tears of Repentance (2 of 6)
Series: Tears for Every Occasion
II Corinthians 7:6-10
1. Last week I began our six-part series on the subject of tears-"Tears for Every Occasion." By the way, aren't you glad God has given us tears? Tears are a release and an expression of our emotions. If we were not able to shed tears, we would be a pitiful bunch indeed.
2. Last Wednesday our subject was, "Tears of Joy." Tonight I want to talk to you about "Tears of Repentance."
a. There are times when we need to repent.
1) Repentance is required in order to become a Christian. Jesus said, "Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3)
2) Again, as Christians, there are times when repentance is necessary for us--our life is not in fellowship with God, and we need to set things right. 1 John 1:8, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
3) Repentance is needed for any number of reasons: When we have offended God, when we have offended others, when we have failed to carry out our responsibilities...the list could be never-ending.
3. In Paul's letter to the Corinthians he is commenting on the earlier letter of rebuke he had written to them. The strong wording of the letter had caused them to repent (vv.10, 11).
a. The word "sorrow" here means, "sadness, grief, or heaviness."
b. One can express all those things without shedding tears, but if there was ever a time when tears were appropriate, it would certainly be at a time of godly repentance.
4. This evening I want to take a few minutes to examine the different kinds of tears people shed when they repent. Let me give you three things about tears of repentance:
I. Some Tears Are Very Empty
II. Some Tears Are Very Real
III. Some Tears Are Very Late
I. SOME TEARS ARE VERY EMPTY
1. Let me just say at the outset, God knows the chemistry of our tears. And I'm not talking about the water and sa ...
There are 15637 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.