How's Your Family
I Peter 3:1-7; Colossians 3:20, 21
Practical Guidelines to Living
1. I would like to begin this evening by asking you this question: ''If you were to make up a slogan or give defining statement about your family, what would it be?
2. Here's another question: If you were to rate the success of your family in light of what God would have a family to be...on a scale of 1-10, where would your family be?
3. How we answer those questions will determine a couple of things: It will reveal how well we understand God's will for our families and our lives, and it will reveal how well we are applying His will in practice.
ILLUS: Clovis Chappell, a minister in the 1800's, used to tell the story of two paddleboats. They left Memphis about the same time, traveling down the Mississippi River to New Orleans. As they traveled side-by-side, sailors from one vessel made a few remarks about the snail's pace of the other. Words were exchanged. Challenges were made. And the race began. Competition became vicious as the two boats roared through the Deep South.
One boat began falling behind. Not enough fuel. There had been plenty of coal for the trip, but not enough for a race. As the boat dropped back, an enterprising young sailor took some of the ship's cargo and tossed it into the ovens. When the sailors saw that the supplies burned as well as the coal, they fueled their boat with the material they had been assigned to transport. They ended up winning the race, but burned their cargo.
4. May I say to you, God has entrusted a certain cargo to us, as well: Our cargo consists of our children, our spouses, and our friends. Our job is to do our part in seeing that this cargo reaches its destination.
a. When what we think is important in life begins to take priority over people, people will suffer.
1) I wonder how much cargo we sacrifice in order to achieve the number one slot in our careers? How many people never reach the dest ...
There are 6678 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.