Love His Worship
Series: To Love God Is...
November 29, 1998
A. Why do people participate in the Life of a local church?
1. To meet new friends? To enjoy themselves? To maintain a tradition of church attendance? To become a better person?
2. George Barna: "The most Common answer people give for participating in the life of a church – 'a desire to worship God.'"
3. In spite of this good news Barna discovered a startling reality. While most people attend church to worship god, for many worship constitutes doing the routine things, in the proper place, at the proper time.
4. For many worship means a series of activities rather than a spirit of the heart.
B. The bible teaches the primary purpose of our existence is worship.
1. This should drive everything else we do.
2. Psalms 84: "How lovely is Your tabernacle: O Lord of Hosts! My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the Living God." Even the sparrow has found a home. And the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young-even your altars, O Lord of hosts; my king and my God. Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they will still be praising You. For a day in your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my god than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the Lord will give grace and glory. No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man who trusts in you!"
A. Our longing is his presence.
B. Our look is to his person.
C. Our lives are in his protection.
C. When we love god we will love his worship.
D. Today, we are going to look at what it means to worship him better.
I. We will worship better when we know the difference in method and meaning.
A. Too often we confuse the method with the meaning.
1. Ask people to define worship and they refer to s ...
There are 3992 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1996 character sample of the full content.