The Ten Commandments Of Love
I Corinthians 13
a. Opening illustration: after Sunday school, two small boys were standing in the church lobby. As they were talking a pretty girl from their class walked by them. One of the little guys said to the other, "when I stop hating girls, she's the first one I’m going to quit hating."
b. Romantic love is a powerful thing.
1. Valentine's day was this week.
2. I hope you guys were smart and got something for your valentine.
3. Ill. The development of valentines' day: according to one legend, the valentine takes its name from a young Christian who lived in ancient Rome. Like so many Christians valentine had been imprisoned because of his faith. Often and longingly he thought of those he loved, and wanted to assure them of his well-being and his love. Beyond his cell window grew a cluster of violets. He picked some heart-shaped leaves and pierced them to spell the words, "remember your valentine, then sent them off by a friendly dove. On the next day and the next, he sent more messages that simply said, I love you."
4. I don't know about all that, but I do know love is powerful.
c. The problem: there is such a mis-understanding about romantic love.
1. The world defines love in so many ways.
2. I want to look at the real authority on love. It's the bible.
3. I Corinthians 13 is the clearest biblical passage characterizing love.
d. Today, I want us to deal with the 10 commandments of love.
I. You shall accept god's love as the basis for all love.
a. In order to really understand love on a human level we need to understand god's love.
1. The characteristics of I Corinthians 13 are fulfilled completely in Jesus Christ.
2. They are to be reflected in all our relationships.
ill. Jonathon swift, the author of "Gulliver’s travels", said, " we have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another."
b. Many people have a diff ...
There are 11207 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.