This content is part of a series.
The Birthmarks of a Believer! (1 of 2)
Pastor Steve N. Wagers
1. When you think of what a believer should be what comes to your mind? Do you picture someone with their hair to the sky, their dress to the ground, and their nose to the air? Do you envision a car rolling down the road being held together with bumper stickers that say, "I love Jesus!" Or, do you visualize someone carrying a family Bible under their arm that is bigger than they are?
2. I think of a pious Church member who thought himself to be a great Christian. One Sunday he visited the Junior Department of the Sunday School. The superintendent asked him to say a few words to the boys and girls. He stood pompously before them and asked, "Why do you think people call me a Christian?" From the back of the room, a little fellow responded, "Because they don't know you."
3. According to a recent Gallup poll survey there are mixed reviews on Christians. For example:
85% of Americans self-identify as Christians.
5% of US adults classify as evangelicals (see Evangelical archive for definition)
35% of US adults classify as born again, but not evangelical
37% are self-described Christians but are neither evangelical nor born again
4. In response to the poll George Gallup commented:
"While religion is highly popular in America, it is to a large extent superficial; it does not change people's lives to the degree one would expect from the level of professed faith."
5. Someone once said,
"If I see something that waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, I get the ideal that it is a duck."
6. When others look at our life do get the ideal that we are Christians? I don't think it is being harsh to say that a Christian ought to be a Christian. If one is a Christian positionally, then one ought to be a Christian practically. If one is going to live in heaven as a Christian, one should live on earth as a Christian.
7. I know many people ...
There are 23680 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.