Supernatural or Superficial?
I Corinthians 2:12-3:4
One of the most difficult things to do, as a Christian, is to look at our life, classify ourselves, and see where we line up according to God's Word. R.G. Lee after preaching "Ma'am, the devil didn't like it either, so classify yourself!"
Classification is not always flattering; however, it is necessary because it's the starting point of our understanding of our life of faith. We cannot get to where we ought to be, until we know where we are.
The Apostle Paul aids in the classification process, by introducing us to 3 categories: Spiritual Man, Natural Man, Carnal Man. Everyone of us fall into one of these three categories, and by being honest with God, as well as, ourselves, we can find if we're supernatural, or superficial.
I. THE SPIRITUAL MAN: LIVING SUPERNATURALLY (V. 12-13)
1. Paul introduces us to the spiritual man. He shows us that he does what comes totally supernatural to him.
2. He's not living in his own might or power any longer.
3. He's living in the supernatural realm of Christianity.
c.f. Galatians 2:20--"..the life that I now live. . ."
Paul shows us that the Spiritual man:
A. LIVES BY THE SPIRIT (v. 12)
". . .not the spirit of the world. . .but of God. . ."
1. The spiritual man no longer lives on his own, or by his own.
2. He lives indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
ILLUST: At Regeneration-----We became new creatures
c.f. II Cor. 5:17
3. Therefore, the spiritual man now is to live by the Holy Spirit.
4. It's no longer what he wants to do, for he no longer has the right to do it---HE'S BEEN BOUGHT WITH A PRICE!!
5. He lives supernaturally by the Spirit.
c.f. Galatians 5:16--"Walk in the Spirit, ye shall not fulfill the lusts of flesh"
5:25---"If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit"
B. LEARNS FROM THE SPIRIT (v. 13)
". . .which the Holy Ghost teacheth. . ."
1. The spir ...
There are 6060 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.