Don't Lose Heart
2 Corinthians 4:16
1. There is an old legend that tells of how on one occasion the devil put his tools up for sale. Each item was marked with a price. There was hatred, envy, jealously, lying, pride, and several other items. Yet there was one item that was well worn, yet was marked at an extremely high price. A buyer pointed at the item and asked, ''What is the name of that tool?'' The devil answered, ''That is discouragement.'' The buyer asked, ''Why have you priced it so high?'' The devil replied, ''Because it is more useful to me than other tool. It is badly worn because I have used it so much.''
2. I think we would all agree that discouragement is a well-used tool of the devil. If you have been a Christian for any period of time most likely there has been a time when you found yourself discouraged.
3. The story is told of Martin Luther who was so depressed over a prolonged period that one day his wife came downstairs wearing all black. Martin Luther said, ''Who died?'' She said, ''God has.'' He said, ''God hasn't died.'' She quickly responded, ''Well, live like it and act like it.''
4. We read in Numbers 21:4, ''And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way.'' The word ''discouraged'' is very interesting. The word is often translated ''reap, reaping, or reapers'' in the Bible. It is descriptive of cutting the grain in the field such as in Job 24:6, ''They reap every one his corn in the field: and they gather the vintage of the wicked.''
5. There are times when we get discouraged because of the way. We feel like the circumstances of life are mowing us down. We feel like everything that is happening to us is a scythe cutting our feet out from under us or is like a knife that is cutting down our hopes, goals, and ambitions.
6. Yet, as I look in God's Word I find that on different occasions God tells us to ...
There are 21349 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.