Raised To Walk In Newness Of Life
Ken D. Trivette
1. A few years ago, there was a popular song entitled "Til The Storm Passes By. We could title Genesis chapter 8, After The Storm Passes By. In Genesis 7, we see Noah in the storm. In Genesis chapter 8, we see Noah after the storm.
2. In Genesis 8, we see Noah entering a new world. The old world has been destroyed and a new world is before him. He has been brought through the waters of death and now a world of life is before him.
3. In I Peter 3:20-21 we see that Noah and the flood is a type of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the believer's identification with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. We read, "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. (21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."
4. Peter tells us that the saving of Noah was a figure. The word means a "representative, counterpart." Peter tells us that the saving of Noah was specifically a figure of the believer's baptism.
5. The baptism referred to is not the baptism that occurs in a church baptistery. That is a figure of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.
6. The baptism that is referred to is not a public illustration of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ but a personal identification with the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.
7. Notice Romans 6:34, "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? (4] Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (5] For if we have been planted together ...
There are 15638 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.