Esther: For Such a Time as This
INTRO. The three great questions of life are, WHY?, HOW?, and WHERE? Perhaps the greatest of these is Why? It is a question I hear as a pastor and counselor more than any other! Why did God do this or, Why didn't God do this?
This could have been Esther's question. How can I see God's hand and will in my present circumstances?
The name of God is not mentioned in the book of Esther. It seems to be symbolic of those who cannot see God at a certain time in their life - yet someone has written,
ILL. ''Behind the dim unknown, stand God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.''
God placed it in His word for a reason. For no disbeliever in God could have written it and no believer in God can read it without having his faith strengthened!
Romans 15:4 gives us insight when it says: ''For whatsoever things were written aforetime where written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.''
I. THE CIRCUMSTANCES
1. The King - Exerxes - Mad man who beheaded his chief military engineers - bound the seal with iron fetters after a great storm destroyed his ships. Seated himself upon a throne of gold atop a Grecian hilltop to see the great naval battle between his ships and Greece. Caught up in his own vanity.
2. Queen Vashti - Queen of modesty and grace. Verse 10-12. Commanded to appear unveiled before the lustful eyes of the banquet crowd. Verse 8b says ''according to every man's pleasure.'' She would have been exposed to insult and disgrace.
3. Mordecai - Chapter 3 - A man of principle and ideals. Would not bow they knew and worship Haman. Faced death on a gallows 50 cubits high. 5:9-14
4. God's people. Certain death. 3:9, ''Let them be destroyed.''
Faith visualizing what God intends to do! Heb. 11:1
1. Queen Vashti - Refused to come, lost position and possessions.
ILL. How much more difficult to step ...
There are 4708 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.