When the Upright Get Uptight
Intro: The Bible wouldn't say so much about fretting if Christians didn't do it...we haven't been exempted against the frailties of the flesh. We are clay pots and earthen jars although the temple of God..
"Fret not yourself .....".(v. 1) It is not circumstances or people. The word "fret" has the connotation of heat. In other words, don't get all hot and bothered about things.
I. THINGS THAT CAUSE FRETTING
A. THE INJUSTICES OF LIFE. (v. 1-7)
1. Don't be envious of evil doers. (v. 1) The word "envious" means red hot.
a. Habakkuk was upset because God raised up- the Chaldean's.
b. Job was a righteous man and yet God allowed him to lose everything
2. The wicked will prosper.(v. 7)
a. It is difficult to see the lost man across the street thumbing his nose at God and everything is seemingly going great for him when we are doing everything we know to do and we lose our job or our children are having problems or we get cancer.
B. THE INACTIVITY OF GOD.
1. Sometimes the very thing that God is doing is what causes us to think God is not working. Habakkuk cried out that God was not doing anything.
2. Lazarus died - Jesus waited four days to come. Mary and Martha said, "Master, if you had been here my brother wouldn't have died.
3. Gideon in Judges 6 was hiding food and an angel watches him and says, "Hail thou, thou mighty man of valor, the Lord be with thee." Gideon replied "why have all these things happened?"
God is always at work--he is just not acting like we think He should act.
C. OUR IGNORANCE OF GOD'S WAYS
1. Because He works on a different time schedule. With God TIMING IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN TIME.
2. Because He works on a different value system. CHARACTER IS MOR ...
There are 3758 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1879 character sample of the full content.