Do You Want to Be Whole?
INTRO: This would be a foolish question had anyone but Jesus asked it, Some enjoy poor health.
Ill: The man who jumped into bed to look sick when I called. The question wouldn't have been obvious and foolish.
THIRD SIGN OF JESUS IN JOHN; Sign = an attesting miracle pointing to the supernatural power of Jesus as Saviour of men.. meant to demonstrate His glory to encourage belief... Always a spiritual application.
Picture of many of us: IMPOTENT; "No dynamic". He had legs but they wouldn't support him, no power: THE BLIND HAD EYES BUT COULDN'T SEE...
You have life but not HEALTH.
JESUS MOVES INTO THE SITUATION TO MAKE MEN WHOLE.. This incident demonstrates the Master's method of making men whole.
He speaks to the man three times: vs. 6, 8, 14
A Question, A Command, A Warning (Exhortation)
I. MUST BEGIN WITH DESIRE.
The emphasis in question is on DESIRE. Do you WANT to be whole? This must be the starting place. Let's get this settled. Do you REALLY want to be whole?
1. A Pertinent Question. He was sick, helpless and hopeless.
2. A Personal Question: Note the marked contrast in vs. 3 and 5-- a great multitude and "a certain man". Jesus deals with you on a personal, individual level. HE WILL SINGLE YOU OUT AS THOUGH YOU WERE THE ONLY NEEDY PERSON THERE.
3. A Probing Question. The answer is not so obvious.
(1) Consider the Responsibility Wholeness Involves.
INACTIVITY CAN BECOME ATTRACTIVE...
BEGGAR WILL LOSE A GOOD LIVING IF HEALED...
AS LONG AS YOU CAN'T, OTHERS WILL.. THEY'LL DO THE WORK.
WE CAN ALWAYS BLAME OTHERS FOR FAILURE.
(2) The Realization of what Wholeness Is.
Do you want to be WHOLE? Not simply "walk". Jesus doesn't deal in partial cures, not a specialist.
Leonard Griffith in "Encounters With Christ"--A wise old general practioneer asked when a young doctor announced he intended to specialize on the nose, "WHICH ...
There are 5360 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.