This content is part of a series.
Truth Telling in the Nineties (9 of 10)
Series: The Original Top Ten List
Exod. 20:16 "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
1John 2:21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because no lie is of the truth.
Message Truth: A truth-telling, promise-keeping God who cannot lie and who wants to see in us His own image desires that we become truth tellers. God wants us to understand the importance of truth telling in personal relationships. John 8:32 and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
1. Sometime ago U.S. News and World Report conducted a poll among their readership regarding friendship values. 94% of the respondents maintained that the most important quality of a friend was honesty.
2. However, according to James Patterson, co-author of the book, The Day America Told The Truth , over 90% of Americans admit to lying routinely, and 36% of these say they tell big lies that hurt other people.
3. Unfortunately, our culture seems quite content to distort the truth. Lying has become a way of life in many circles.
4. Many of you will remember the totally fabricated commercials of Joe Isuzu. He would make these outlandish claims about the company's cars. At the bottom of the screen, a disclaimer would appear saying, "Don't believe a word he says, he lying." Admittedly they were funny. They were also effective, since car sales rose 21% during that time.
5. I am somewhat amazed that for a nation that claims to be concerned with honesty, that we sell so many products that are associated with dishonesty. In recent grocery store tabloids, the following headlines were observed:
• Dinosaurs Honked Like Buicks
• Cow Mattresses Help Cows Produce More Milk
• Mom To Be On Diet Of Only Chicken, Lays Huge Egg
• W.W.II Bomber Found On The Moon
• Woman Gives Birth To 2 Year Ol ...
There are 9911 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.