Toys or Treasures
Brokenness: God's Way to Strength and Stature
Philippians 3:4b-10; Matthew 6:19-24
Question: I wonder if there has ever been a time in your life when you have been broken...truly broken?
*Has there ever been a time when everything seemed to fall apart?
*Has there ever been a time when you felt totally out of control of your life?
*Has there ever been a time when you were broken down, embarrassed and humbled?
*Has there ever been a time when the only thing you had left to hold onto was God?
Believe it or not, this is exactly what God wants to accomplish in all our lives.
1. He does not necessarily want to:
*Stroke our egos
*Build up our self-image
*Build up our self-confidence
*Build up our independence and self-sufficiency
2. In fact, He wants to do just the opposite.
*God wants to eliminate our sinful pride and ego
*God wants to weaken our flesh
*God wants to eradicate our self-sufficiency, self-confidence and independence
God wants to bring us to the end of ourselves so we will:
*Depend on Him
*Look to Him
*Rely upon Him
The process is called BROKENNESS.
By Definition: Brokenness is the process whereby God brings us to the end of ourselves and into total love, trust and submission toward Him.
Ps. 51:17 "The sacrifices of God are a Broken Spirit; A broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."
I have been trying to teach you some of the things God has been teaching me about brokenness. Several weeks ago, I gave you 10 characteristics of a broken man.
1. A broken person experiences the supernatural power of Jesus Christ.
2. A broken person is an encourager not a critic.
3. A broken person is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
4. A broken person is free to give and expect nothing in return.
5. A broken person freely forgives injustices without harboring bitterness or anger.
6. A broken person is free to serve without need of recogn ...
There are 35970 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.