This content is part of a series.
ID tags, Wemmicks? (3 of 6)
What is the Command?
Love God with all your heart, soul and mind. All our faculties, everything we got.
- Jesus is quoting Deut. 6:5
- Right after the 10 Comm.
- Sums up the entire OT, ALL the Law and Prophets hang on these two
Why should I obey the Command?
Because God is God. Deut.6:4
- There is no other god [including myself] and God alone can require, demand, command
- We are to love God above anything and anybody else…including our wife and kids. God demands that we love him first with all that we have in our being. In loving God above all else we are really loving our families as best we can.
God is Love. Love is God's Identity and we were created in God's image therefore loving God is why we exist, it is our purpose in life.
We love because He first loved us I John 4:19
- The Bible is God's Love Story with his creation…
- ''But God demonstrates His own love for us in this, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.'' Rom.5:8 We didn't deserve it, it's unmerited favor, it is truly free grace showered upon us.
- Jesus is the embodiment of God's love toward us, God proves His love through Jesus.
- So we RESPOND to God's love by loving Him back and this becomes our new identity…we are disciples who LOVE GOD.
How do I Love God?
It says with all your heart, soul and mind. We love God with EVERYTHING in our being. ALL our faculties are involved in loving God,
heart involves our emotions, our will, our affections, our thoughts, passions, desires, hopes, appetites,
Soul means ''breath'' or ''the breath of life''; the vital force which animates the body. Heart and soul are very similar in meaning
The mind involves our understanding and way of thinking
- All three of these are similar and point us seeing that loving God involves our whole life, not just one part of it.
Since Jesus is quoting Deut. 6:5 Let's go back at least to the first four commandmen ...
There are 5505 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.