This content is part of a series.
On the Other Hand (1 of 5)
2 Chronicles 1:7-12
1. It is a very famous quote that you have seen sometime, someplace, and probably many, many, times. It is a quote that is used by Alcoholics Anonymous and most every 12-Step Program in the country. It is in the form of a prayer and it is a great prayer -
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change -
The courage to change the things I can -
And the wisdom to know the difference.
2. That is a great prayer, but I would respectfully add something to it or to me the prayer is incomplete. I would add this -
God, give me the will to decide to change the things I can -
The courage to make those changes -
And the wisdom to make the right changes.
3. There are two parts of life that every new year brings. It brings things that we cannot change and things we can. On the one hand, there are no guarantees in life. I cannot guarantee you that you won't get cancer, lose your job, be involved in an automobile accident, or even be alive at the end of this year. There are things that we simply cannot change.
4. The challenge we all face every day is facing the things in life we can change and making the right decisions about those changes.
5. Life really comes down to making decisions. You are who you are today, what you are today, and where you are today because of the decisions you have made in the past. On a lighter note, Dr. Seuss put it this way:
You have brains in your head
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU will be the one who'll decide where you'll go.
Oh - the places that you'll go!
6. Dr. Seuss was right except in one thing that he said. The good news is as you make decisions in life you are not on your own or at least you don't have to be. In fact, that is where we get into trouble, because we make too many decisions on ...
There are 17189 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.