Bits & Pieces, December 9, 1993, p. 16.
- A born loser is the father whose child appears last in a three-hour piano recital. - Anon
- There are two things in life we are never fully prepared for; twins. - Anon
- A parent's responsibility is not to his child's happiness; it's to his character. - Anon
- Insanity is hereditary&md;you can get it from your children. - Sam Levenson
- Then there was the assertive toddler who called his favorite store "Toys R Else." - Contributed by Beth Critton, Readers Digest, May 1996, p. 68.
- The most important thing that parents can teach their children is how to get along without them. - Anon
- I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. - Harry S. Truman, quoted in Reader's Digest
Owen Wister, an old college friend of Theodore Roosevelt, was visiting him at the White House. Roosevelt's daughter Alice kept running in and out of the room until Wister finally asked if there wasn't something Roosevelt could do to control her.
"Well," said the President, "I can do one of two things. I can be President of the United States or I can control Alice. I cannot possibly do both."