This content is part of a series.
Counsel Concerning Marriage (6 of 10)
Series: Beautiful Mess
1 Corinthians 7:1-40
1. Counsel to Christians married to Christians (7:1-11)
2. Counsel to Christians married to non-Christians (7:12-24)
3. Counsel to unmarried Christians (7:25-40)
1. In this chapter Paul addresses a wide range of issues relating to the believer and singleness and marriage. As new believers, the Corinthians had many questions for Paul which he addressed for them (7:1).
2. Paul deals with specific questions and issues. It's important to note that he does not give us a complete theology of marriage in this chapter.
3. Paul will refer back to Jesus' teachings and he will give instructions for issues that Jesus did not deal with. However, Paul is not disclaiming divine inspiration (see 7:6, 10, 12, 25), he is merely distinguishing his present teaching from that of what was common knowledge that Jesus taught.
4. The Corinthians came out of a pagan background where morals were lax. It was not uncommon for a man to have a wife who bore his children, a mistress, and at the temples there were temple prostitutes. Homosexuality was also rampant in the Roman Empire.
In contrast to this low view of morality, Paul gives the high idea of sexual purity in and out of marriage. God's word is the ideal and the standard. Because we live in a world that falls short does not mean that we lower the standard, change God's word or neglect His teachings.
For the Corinthians coming out of pagan and promiscuous backgrounds, it was better to uphold the high standards of morality rather than lowering them. We do not always meet God's ideal; however, we do not throw out God's ideals because we fall short. We need to be constantly moving towards the ideal and encouraging the ideal.
5. Another consideration before we look at this passage. God is the God of the present. He always deals with us in the present. What does this mean for us?
(1) You cannot ...
There are 10056 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.